Thursday, September 23, 2004

"...a couple of things that won't make it to the news"

{I clipped this post from Hugh Hewitt. I take no credit for it. However all emphasis is mine}

Another e-mail from another Marine officer retruned from Iraq, who forwarded a report from Iraq, this time from an Army captain:
" Dear friends,


In the wake of all the unbelievable things that are being said about this war right now in the media, I thought that I might pass along a couple of things that won't make it to the news.

First, I would like to remind you all about the actual size of this country. It (Iraq)is roughly the size of California. Baghdad is the biggest city with a population of about 6 million, so it is a little bit bigger than Los Angeles. The reason why I tell you that is because the media is leading you all to believe that this entire country is "tumbling into complete chaos."

Please don't believe that! What is happening in Baghdad and parts of Fallujah and Sammarah (A combined total population of 7 million) does not reflect what is being done around the whole country. It reminds me of the time when I was stationed at Fort Ord, CA early on in my Army career. I was talking to a friend of mine from back east and she said, "Don, are you alright? I mean, are you safe?"

A little puzzled, I replied, "Yeah, I'm fine, why do you ask? " "Well, I heard about all the violence that is happening lately in Los Angeles and I wanted to know that you were OK," she said. "Uh, thanks, " I said with a smile that must have went right through the phone. "You do know that Los Angeles is almost 350 miles away right?"

But she had never been to California. To her it was all the same. But ask a person who lives in Northern California and they will tell you that their part of the state is VERY different from Southern California.

And the same is true in Iraq. What is happening in Baghdad does not reflect what is happening in Southern Iraq where the UK brigade are continuing to "win the hearts and minds" of the people in Al Basrah and Al Hillah. Or ask my friend Jake who is stationed near An Nasiriyah. In one of his emails to me, he sent me a picture of him riding on a camel and this statement, "Here's me doing some crazy stuff with some of the locals. They are great people and so friendly. 90% of this country are people like these who simply want a safe country to live in. "

You see, the violence that is reported in and around the largest city in this country overshadows the incredible things that are being done by the Republic of Korea Army in the northern town of Irbil. Does anybody out there know that currently Iraq is the 2nd most heavily mined country in the world and that there are over 130 de-mining projects going on in the border towns between Iraq and Iran? Do the reporters do stories about the half a million tons of captured enemy ammunition that we have destroyed, never to be put into the hands of evil men again? Or the thousands of minefields that are being cleared everyday so little children in cities like Irbil, Kirkuk, and Halabjah can play and run in the fields with no fear of accidentally stepping on a mine ?

For security reasons, I can 't disclose all the operations that are going on right now, but you need to know that we are still here, are in the fight, and are ready to do whatever it takes to see this country succeed. And I still believe, with all my heart, that the majority of people here want us here. They may feel like we are occupiers, but they also understand it is necessary for the time being . I guess I don 't know how else to say it. It's just frustrating because I 'm the one over here. I see the work that we are doing. I listen to the daily operations briefs. I read the intel summaries. And I can say as a former history major who studied all of the major wars we have fought in, this is not another Vietnam. Even though I am just a Captain on a Corps level staff, you have to take my word on that.

But let me get back to the original reason of why I am writing you.
Last night at Bible Study, many of my friends were praising the Lord for some "near misses." There was my dear friend Erika , a signal officer for one of the military intelligence battalions on post. She shared that their sister battalion had made the decision to drive to the qualification range about ten miles from base. Well, in light of the insurgent activity that has happened in the last week, you can probably guess (sic) what happened. Their convoy was attacked with an IED and small arms. Through tears of joy, she told us about her friend who was the convoy commander. The explosion from the IED sent shrapnel through their vehicle. One piece went right past his head so close that he heard the whistling of it in his ear. It dug three inches into the back of the vehicle. Miraculously, no one was hurt.

Then there was our friend Gary who has to travel down to the International Zone (IZ) every day. As you may have heard on the news, we have had a surge in VBIEDs this month. Last Satu rday , there were two that exploded within 30 minutes of each other on a two mile stretch of road going to the IZ. Gary told us that he praises the Lord for His protection because he missed the first VBIED because it exploded 10 minutes before him, and the second exploded 10 minutes after him. He just wanted to praise the Lord for the angels that God had around his vehicle and that He is the one who controls time as well.

But my favorite story to tell you is the one that Natalie shared. She told us about a convoy that was traveling in Baghdad yesterday and it was hit by an IED. Unfortunately, one of the vehicles was so close to the seat of the explosion that it injured two of the soldiers in the vehicle. A Mercedes who had passed the convoy, saw the explosion in his rear view mirror and turned around to double back. When he got there, he got out of his car to help. The soldiers, all pulling security now as the medic tried to tend to the wounded, pointed their weapons at him, unsure of his intentions. The Iraqi man put up his hands and said in broken English, "I'm here to help!" He pointed to his cell phone in his hand. "Please tell me who I should call for help." The soldiers lowered their weapons and gave him the number to call. In the meantime, another vehicle came up behind the convoy. An Iraqi man ran over to the exploded vehicle where the soldier lay on the ground. With his hands raised as well, he told them, "I am a doctor, please let me help." With tears in her eyes, Natalie told us that he probably saved that soldier's life.

My friends, I know that there are evil people over here. Zarqawi and his men seem to have this country in a terror that is something out of a B-rate horror movie, complete with machetes and beheadings. But they are a minority that knows how to play to the media! And these evil people don't simply target the military. Were they to do so, I might have a little respect for them as they would consider themselves Freedom Fighters attempting to fight their formidable foe. But they don't care who they fight or who they kill. They lash out at anyone who does not believe the way they do - to include innocent Muslims.

A couple of days ago I received an email from a friend expressing her concern for the bombings that have been going on over here. Her simple question was, "Will it ever end?" To that I say that I believe it will end. When? I don't know. But I stand with my Commander-in-Chief and say that we should stay the course. The only exit strategy we should have is one where Iraq is a free, democratic, self-governing country in good relations with its neighbors, and its citizens enjoy the freedom of traveling the highways free of exploding cars, and devoid of terrorists who have come to see Iraq as their playground.

Finally, below my signature block, I have included an interview written by an Iraqi web blogger named A.Y.S. He was swimming in the Olympic Pool in Baghdad recently and ran into an Iraqi Soccer player. I thought his last comments on how he wishes the media would report everything - good and bad - was great. If you get the chance, I would encourage you to read it, and maybe check out his website,
www.iraqataglance.blogspot.com .

Thank you all again for your continued prayers and encouraging responses. Whenever I get down, I think about all of you, and I'm proud to be here serving for you. May God continue to bless our great nation, and may He give you peace.

Your faithful soldier in the Lord,

Don "

Akreem Sabeeh:

Yesterday I was in AlHurriya Olympic Swimming Pool together with my friends, while we were there, the Iraqi soccer team alternates entered the place with the goalkeepers coach Ahmed Jasim.. I met one of the players, Akram Sabeeh, the goalkeeper and talked for few minutes, then I asked some questions and told him that I'd publish his words on the internet and he's agreed, so I gladly began my questions:
A: What do you feel when you play now? I think there's a difference than those days during the ex-regime?

Akram: look, I was seriously afraid when I was playing, they were really horrible days under Uday, I was afraid to do anything that might be misunderstood and the result would be the jail. Now, I feel free when I play soccer, I feel that I'm playing to improve myself and never afraid of anyone.

A: So you feel that you are free now?
Akram: of course free.

A: Have you ever been jailed?
Akram: Yes, for 10 days.

A: What for?
Akram: Because I shouted at the referee!

A: Isn't it a humiliating act to be jailed for this reason?
Akram: Yes, but Uday was enjoying doing so, I might be lucky to be jailed only, other players were being beaten severely, tortured and many other brutal acts, you've heard about that?

A:Yes..let's forget what was Uday doing... what about the economical status? Akram: my salary was 20$ and now it is 200$.

A: wonderful..multiplied by 10..
Akram: Yes, I can think in my future now!

A: So what was wrong with other Olympic players, they were so upset when they were shown on the TV after each game, they kept repeating: occupation, targeting the cities..etc, they blamed on the Americans for that, what do you think?
Akram: Well..they were saying this cause they were watching what was going on in AlNajaf and previously in Fallujah, they felt that the families were being killed everyday.

A: And do you believe that?
Akram: We are watching all of that on the channels.

A: Have you ever watched some good news regarding Iraq on those channels?
Akram: Frankly...Never!

A: So those channels intentionally collect the bad news and exaggerate in most of them and play with our emotions to achieve their goal, and they've succeeded in that with some people..if they are honest they had better look at the good changes also.
Akram: Yes, you are right, we cry and get angry as we watch those channels!..........................

Unfortunately, Akram's friend called and we've finished our conversation..

Akram: Excuse me..I have to go now..nice to meet you..
A: Thank you very much Akram..

Well, I could ignore all those questions, and ask him directly showing some bored and upset facial expressions: 'DO YOU ACCEPT..what's going on in your country now? Chaos, explosions, bombing the cities...what do you think..isn't it miserable?' !! I could make all the conversation full of hatred and pessimistic views! I mean, you have to hear the question of the reporter and the manner of asking the players before you judge the players' opinions.. Those journalists ask according to what they want to hear or according to what is needed from them. The reporters should be honest and fair in dealing with the people in Iraq, it's a temporary critical period, and they have to help and support the Iraqis to stand against terrorism and build their country. Unfortunately, there are few of them."

0 comments: